View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
I had the NT and the screen was a little difficult to scroll on easily, and you could see the little mesh network underneath the glass. The HD is great to hold, although there's a hard plastic on the edge that might feel uncomfortable to the hand. I nearly bought one at Target, but I just couldn't get past the lack of good, inexpensive apps, and the one I used most, Scrabble, didn't have an HD version yet. I always had trouble navigating on the NT too, especially with files on an SD card, and the media and music apps were awful.

I went for the ipad mini, despite reservations about the lower resolution, but I was pleasantly surprised, even for reading. The greater screen area allows both 2-page landscape and portrait mode, and it rests nicely on my hand, sort of like the Kindle 3. Where it really shines, though, is as a gaming tablet--easy to hold and turn and tap, whereas the ipad is too big and the itouch/iphone too small for me. The web browsing is also much easier than on the smaller Nook Tablet screen, where I used to have difficulty hitting small links. I was also able to split my ipad apps and music and movie files between the two devices, to save some space and add variety.

But for those who just want a good tablet reading experience, with maybe some Netflix thrown in, the HD is a good choice. The Kobo Arc is also coming out this month, which has access to Google Play, so those looking for a good ereader tablet might want to wait and check that one out too.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote