View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
sven
Enthusiast
sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi.
As promised a few days ago I provide some pictures of my nickel replacing Java application on my Kobo Touch.
The first one is the Home Screen.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00990.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	96305
The upper part of the screen shows a list of recently read books. The lower part contains icons for several "Applets", e.g. Calendar, News, Mail or Reader.

The Calendar can be displayed in a month, week or day view. One can switch through the different views by tapping on the icons at the right part of the menu bar. With a swipe to the left or to the right one can go a month, a week or a day back or forward.

Name:	DSC00993.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	96306Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00994_50.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	96307

By a long tap one can create a new event, by a normal tap on an existing event one can modify the details of the event.

Name:	DSC00995_50.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	96308Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00996_50.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	96309
The events are stored in a file in XCAL (XML iCal)format. I hope to implement in future a synch mechanism for my thunderbird calendar at home.

The Reading Applet shows the exiting book categories as a tag cloud considering the number of books in a particular category. Currently the category structure is file system based, that means each category is a directory in file system. That makes it easy to manipulate categories and add or remove books.

Name:	DSC00991.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	96311
After a tap on a category, a list of the books in that category is diplayed to select the book to read (I havenīt finished this work yet).

The News Applet displays my favorite online news. A separate application crawls the news webpages and compiles an ePub (without advertisements and pictures).

Name:	DSC00998_50.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	96313Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00999_50.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	96314

The Weather Applet is inspired by the great work of KevinShort http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194376

Name:	DSC00992.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	96310

As it can be seen on the pictures the User Interface is not consistent yet, some menu items are displayed as icons some as text. I am to date not sure what will be the best solution.
Also one can notice a lot of ghosting on the pictures, but this will be fixed in the future. All in all, there is still much room for improvement and a lot of work to be done.

Any feedback is appreciated whether the community might be interested in my replacement of nickel or whether I only develop for my purpose (then I do not have to clean up the code )
sven is offline   Reply With Quote