View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I have wondered about how Kobo has come up with some of their recommendations - and I suspect it is based on erroneous tags/descriptions provided by publishers.

But, in filtering the recommendations, I have found books I am interested in and wouldn't have found otherwise. I have found that:
About 30% are books that I am not interested in and can't understand why Kobo is making the recommendation,
About 40% are recommendations that I can understand but am not interested in (read the biography of one rock star and you end up having all of them recommended), and
About 30% are good recommendations of which about 25% (7.5% of total) are books I would not have seen otherwise.

Because of the books I would not have otherwise noticed, I am happy enough with the recommendations.

One thing that I do notice is that the recommendation engine appears to consider downloaded previews. So, if you download a preview, but don't like it, Kobo still appears to count it as something you are interested in.

Kobo, feel free to correct any of the assumptions I have made.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote