Thread: K2 Dazed and confused.
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
freewheeling
Zealot
freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, Lenovo IdeaPad, Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you don't have a Wifi, you don't have what this forum is talking about as a MAC address.
In fact, I don't know if 3G on the K2 was on the motherboard or was a plug-in card.
What you might do is check if either of the machines (new or old) was uploading a firmware image to the 3G module (in whatever form it is implemented in on a K2).

If the Kindle 2 is anything like the Kindle DX (or DXG - case color does not matter), then the machine specific information is in the mtdblock device not the mmcblk device.

I don't have the information about the K2.
I think I identified that I was interested in the K2 in the first sentence I posted. Once the Kindle is registered on Amazon a mac address appears next to the Kindle name on the Amazon account. I assume that since my old 3G module didn't work on the new board, that the mac address is for the board itself or one of the soldered chips. There is a little 3G module with an antenna connection that plugs into the board that's interchangeable. I have two of them at the moment, as well as 2 boards. They look identical to me.

Searching the forum I found the following reference to a method of changing the mac address and serial number, but it's not clear if it will work on the Kindle 2 since it appears to be for the Kindle 3. If this method also works with the Kindle 2 then all I need to get is the mac address associated with the original board.

Kindle 3 Diagnostics

Update 1: Works on the Kindle 2 as well. You can set the serial number and the ID for the eInk screen and something called the "PCBA ID" but there isn't a mac address that can be set. Furthermore the PCBA ID is blank. Not sure what that means. What I can try is to replace the original 3G module and set the Serial Number to the old one. Any reason that wouldn't work?

Update 2: BTW, it only works if you save the text file without an extension: "ENABLE_DIAGS" no ".txt"

Last edited by freewheeling; 11-13-2012 at 08:24 PM.
freewheeling is offline   Reply With Quote