View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #342
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBook View Post
Hmm I think you miss read my post.

Calibre used to take a couple of minutes to start up, until I saw a post about speeding up program starting times, that suggested NOT including formats in the tag browser. (Now it takes about 10 seconds to start up!!)

(I don't use any Column Coloring rules)

The problem I have is the Duplicate's plugin, 2-3 months ago it would take a few seconds to do a search (5-10? seconds maybe a little more? But it was not an excessive length of time)

Bit now it will take 2-3 minutes!! to do the search, and I still have roughly the same number of books in my library.

My theory was maybe the plugin now needs to do (whatever the tag browser was doing with formats) before it can complete the search?

My Antivirus is Norton. I have no clue when it updates.
The reason having the tag browser (or covers,or details) open affects the startup time, is those require additional Database and/or cover file access cycles before the GUI can be populated. (Calibre does not have a 'Always start with the X, Y, Z, shown ' option, but opens with the 'last known' display (initial Install is 'All)'.

IIRC User plugins just get initialized (they don't process the DB/files until invoked). Note: many plugins are evolving. There are basic speed-ups , then more/better checks tend to use up that performance gain

'Yellow box' products used to default to Hourly update checks
(Actual updates only happened when found)

Out of the chute, their default settings were always too aggressive (cpu/file system abusive) for my tastes
My systems are dialed way back, as I can usually smell a scam link (I watch the actual URL that is displayed in the status line in Firefox). My wife tends to click first , so I have hers set closer to defaults. YMMV use settings that best reflect your awareness.

BTW the duplicates plugin has settings that will affect times.
When I use Similar/Similar, I see the checks complete in seconds (4K+ books).
If you do a Binary search, that possibly requires that each FILE be opened (Speaking of reading Files: Defrag , when was it last done?) to calculate the values.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote