View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2, iPad, KindleFire and NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I can see Hitch's point about spacing issues for some (although it doesn't bother me in the least and I'm on a 5" reader with a larger font because of my craptastic eyes). I still don't like the look of indenting on just one side though.

What I've done in a few books that I think is a very acceptable alternative, such as for a note that should be split apart from the rest of the text, is just add a space before and after the note, and change the text to italics. Then it can stay full justified width as the rest of the book and it still stands out as it should, and you're not losing margin space at all no matter how long or short the note is. I'd much prefer this to seeing lop-sided indents.
It doesn't bother my eyes to see it on a 3" screen, but we have had comments from readers about lines with 8 words on them, so...I juggle a lot. ;-) I mean, we're getting books back, "Kindle Quality Notices" sent to the authors, about sometimes as few as 4 typos (copyediting/proofing errors, to be clear--not our work). I really don't want to get any back for blockquotes. I think my head would explode. The "four typos" notices are aggravating enough.

I don't think it's particularly fair on the authors, either, as I've seen tons of books on Amazon that are rife with typing, spelling and grammar errors...so it seems to be those authors that are popular that get these notices, because their helpful "fans" sent lists of typos to Amazon. The irony of a NYTimes Bestseller, or Macavity winner, or Edgar-winner, getting this type of notice when you can see some of the dreck that's up there...that's mind-blowing.

This goes back to a discussion we had here some time back; the "immediacy" of ebooks. Even a few years ago, readers would send their "errors" list to a publisher, who would stick it in a file, and maybe some 2-3 years later, if another print run of a book was done, maybe they'd fix the typos--maybe not. Now, the expectation seems to be that everyone just "hop to" and fix the ebook. Personally, unless it's a spoiler, I think that's errant nonsense.

Sorry, I digress. Surprise!

I don't see anything wrong with using a very small em or % space on both sides of a bq, although, as I said, we've had some comments from readers, usually people with smartphones, that it wastes space. {shrug}. Ya can't please all da peoples all da time, I guess.

H
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote