View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #37
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'm not so sure of that. DRM makes the legitimate use of digital media difficult for ordinary users, particularly when they are switching devices That seems to be when people learn about DRM stripping and format-shifting.
By all indications, it's a relatively small subset who care. That small set claims be looking out for the majority, to protect them when and if it become a concern for them. Fine, but the reality seems to be that it poses little practical difficulty for the majority.
I do expect that now that e-readers are cheap, popular and competitive across vendors it WILL start to become more of an issue for the majority.
When Kindle what the only game in town and cost hundreds of dollars, who cared about planning to switch devices?

Quote:
DRM isn't about copyright anyhow.
Yeah, it absolutely is. That is the only reason that publishers and distributors insist on it. Disney and the RIAA have not a care in the world what vendor, or how many vendors display the content to you, as long as they get paid for it.
(I'm not claiming it's a sensible or effective approach, but it clearly is the reason.)

Quote:
It is about locking consumers into a single vendor and restricting their use of that product (e.g. no resale).
This is a side consequence that makes the system bad for consumers and makes it less likely that vendors will enthusiastically join in opposition.
But it's not the reason for it.

Last edited by ApK; 11-09-2012 at 09:03 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote