View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2, iPad, KindleFire and NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
well the sigil button for increase indent's default value may also play a small part

it could well be that I'm seeing it a lot in free Kindle book conversions, but I'm sure I could dig up genuine retail epub examples also - pretty sure the recent humblebundle collection contained some examples.

Maybe folks authoring for both kindle & mobi opt for something that works in both?

I expect Hitch will be along shortly & wil tell us how it should be done
Oh, lord, if that's who I've become, I'll shut up now.

In mobi, pre-K8, you couldn't do bq's at all, (not a "real" blockquote), and you couldn't do right-margin indents. As a matter of screenspace, we still tend to do a left-indent-only paragraph to indicate something set aside from the narrative. When the average screensize is only 3 net inches in width, it just seems wasteful to use up a lot of space for L-R indents. (And think of the people--not a few--who rotate the devices like Fire and NookColor and read in two-column mode!).

However, that being said, sure, aesthetically, given my druthers, I like nice symmetrical bq's, also. As humans, we're programmed to love symmetry. {shrug}. Look at all the people we think are "beautiful," and most are highly symmetric in face and body. It's just the nature of the beast. ;-)

H
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote