View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 01:01 AM   #453
freewheeling
Zealot
freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, Lenovo IdeaPad, Kindle PaperWhite
It's almost what I need.

I'm really pretty impressed with the device, at least in terms of potential. But when I purchased I did so making a couple of assumptions. The first was that since they were targeting the academic field they'd have at least some idea of what they were doing, and would know how to deliver functionality.

I don't mind the graphics. I'd call the display something like "implied color" or "virtual color" or perhaps "whispercolor." It's not very aesthetically satisfying, and not really the sort of color produced by ink or paint or any conventional color reproduction method, but as a functional color reproduction for graphs and other information content it's OK. The background is murky, but in decent like it's as good as the old original Kindle (or almost). And it's definitely easier on your eyes than a bright LCD display whether it's called "retinal" or not.

It's an impressive piece of tech. The production quality is quite good, though not as polished as the Amazon or Apple products. But that's fine, because I'm an academic not a kid who wants to watch videos. I want to read papers and books. Which brings me to the real disappointment.

In what universe is a eReader produced for the academic market that doesn't have the ability to make annotations (notes) as you read? It's like presenting you with a fantastic meal and then tying your hands behind your back. Moreover the conventional hypertext functions don't even work on ePub documents, and barely work in *some* pdfs. But I could even like with that for the time being if there were *some way* to take notes or make annotations. And no, drawing pictures in PDFs isn't the same. There's no way to organize drawings that are actually printed text, and the writing in longhand is generally unreadable because the graphics processing is so slow. It can't even keep up with slowly printed text let alone longhand. And again, what do you do with notes that aren't *really* text, especially if you can't make hypertext references to the drawings someone in an index.

So, I think for academics and people in similar fields about the only real option you have for reading papers and pdf documents is a tablet like the iPad. And Ectaco is soooo close!
freewheeling is offline   Reply With Quote