View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Or possibly he had a disagreement with an editor who tried to address some of the concerns Dennis listed.
Also quite possible. Or he had a falling out it the late Jim Baen. Baen was someone not everyone got along with. David Drake's obituary makes it clear Jim could be testy.

Quote:
I read the first 4, I think, long ago when I had fewer choices of reading material. The first was ok. Reminded me somewhat of Piper's Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, which I did like. But while I like the anachronistic science and to some extent the reverse-engineering of things like looms (even though it's pretty clear that Frankowski hasn't thought much about weaving from an engineering or usability standpoint), the "women throw themselves at his feet" aspect got old really quickly, and the rest of the plot just didn't hang together.
I love Piper's "Lord Kalvan" series (and note that "Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen" is the one title Ace didn't let the rights to lapse.)

Alternate history is arguably a genre of its own now, and Frankowski is oen of many who've tried their hand at it, but far from the best. Harry Turtledove is probably the standard by which it is now judged, though even Harry has his off days where he seems to do little more than go through the motions.

I read some Frankowski early on, but have felt no desire to catch up.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote