View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #42
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornIdiots View Post
I have a quick question. Do you actually unzip the data.tar file before copying the files over to the root in step 1 of the Kindle 4 Jailbreak (following the method on the Wiki)?

For me, since my default zipping program is Winrar, the file only shows up as data.tar, not data.tar.gz. Should I rename it? And once again, would I use the unzipped file or the archived file for copying into the root directory?

Currently, I renamed it by adding the .gz and copied the archived/zipped file over. I got the diagnostics, but when I get to selecting 'Q > To continue' nothing happens (it should restart).

I have the 4.1.0 version, and got rid of Special Offers. TEQUILA System Diags says number 1.0.6.210
Good choice of a nickname.

Change your system preferences to show all file extensions.

Do not unzip the file.

Do not rename the file.

There is no un-rar program installed on the Kindle.

The extensions to filenames in *nix are not significant to the system, the system identifies file types by "magic number".
But scripting very often does go by filename patterns, in this case the update scripting does.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote