View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #29
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
This is nit-picking a little. Grant the chap their premise (high value, small market ebooks) and go from there.
Not nit-picking at all. It's hard to help someone with their issue without having any sense of what their involvement is and where they're coming from or what their market actually is. The reality is that to have a decent chance of suggesting a useful direction, we need to have a sense for this market we're being told exists. Are they a small group of highly interconnected people? People scattered over the globe with no connections to each other? A single group of student in a single university? Something else? Social watermarking isn't going to stop a family or a small business or a tight friends group sharing within their walls, for example, but it might lower the chances of a student offering a book on a shared bulletin board or a professional uploading it to a torrent site. If members of the target group are scattered and have no connections with others in the same group, I wouldn't see the point of DRM at all (well, I can't see the point of it anyway, but if I was a DRM fan I wouldn't see the point of it under those circumstances).

And the fact is that this particular example has been given makes me think that this market doesn't exist at all, since it's so wildly improbable, and makes me wonder whether this is all a hand-waving business startup idea, not a real thing that exists in the world -- so why should I grant the premise without any further questions?

We're not someone's magical freebie business research panel, committed to answering all questions exactly as asked without seeking further information (or digressing or opinionating, for that matter).
meeera is online now   Reply With Quote