View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,134
Karma: 317474
Join Date: Jun 2012
Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
The last firmware version which had the dictionaries embedded was the 2.1.1, and all the dictionaries were encrypted in it. Now all of the installed ones on my Kobo are encrypted except the one I replaced: the english-english. Originally it was also encrypted, but as I used the dict from the 1.9.17 it is now simply gzipped. And works.
This is really strange. As you say, in 2.1.1, the E-E dictionary is encrypted. In the recent dictionary files, as delivered in the synchronizing process, the E-E dictionary, and some others, the html-files are again gzipped. I thought this is the reason why yours is working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
You should try replacing the current (encrypted) japanese dict on your reader with the (gzipped) japanese from the 2.0.0 without editing it. If that works, that means your edited dictionary is somehow corrupted, but the replacement method works.
This is really a nice idea. I tested already with the encrypted dictionary whether I do the decompression and compression correctly. I was unsure of it because of the unicode file names. But it worked well. As for my edited dictionary, I doubt that I messed it up. And even if I did, the dictionary engine seems to be very forgiving, since already in the original files there are mismatching tags and they dictionaries work nonetheless. But I will certainly test it. Thanks for the good idea!


Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
You can still try to replace another dictionary you are not using with the japanese-english and see what happens. It wouldn't be "elegant" to have to choose eg. dutch dictionary to translate from japanese but still...
I tried this already. I replaced the German-German dictionary (in the recent version, it is not encrypted). It did not work.

Would be interesting to replace the recent E-E dictionary with the version of 2.1.1 in order to see whether the dictionary engine can handle both gzipped and encrypted files in this case.

Thanks again for the input!

Last edited by tshering; 11-01-2012 at 12:54 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote