View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #109
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K5, KFire, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
We can only speculate, but it is possible Amazon recognizes that outspoken forums can impact public views on the PW. MR seems to be the leading forum to challenge the PW quality. I think they were just doing damage control and trying to hand pick a few good units for you and Xendela. I truly hope they fix the problems with the PW, but to be honest I seriously doubt they will. The fix will be in the 2nd generation, if even then. I've NEVER seen any eInk device with an added layer on top of the eInk screen that didn't look like the filling inside of a baby's diaper! I really don't think any light layer will EVER work correctly. They need to find another solution. And they need to return to the IR touch screen rather than that gawd awful capacitive layer.

I agree with everything you said, although I am still hoping that the 2nd generation PW will be better. I look at the Kobo Glow and and Nook Glow Light and there are no color hue issues at all. I know they both use IR screens. Surely Amazon can at least solve that issue. (LOL about the baby diaper bit. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Though the hues on the newest units I received this week are not as pronounced, they are still there. Always.

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but I just don't understand: did they not see there were color hues as they were developing the technology, did they take a calculated risk despite the color hues, or are the hues not supposed to be there and Amazon is taken by surprise? Only in the third scenario would this issue then be fixable on this version of the PW.
Did they only have a handful of engineeers working on this technology, and do these engineers all have some color sight weakness?
It's baffling, isn't it? How could they not see them? Maybe they did, but just rushed getting them out anyway. My new PW is odd. The color hues are not always there. Sometimes it really is perfectly white. It's amazing then. When I first turn it on they are not there at all. (And other times as well) Then suddenly I will see them appear ever so slightly. It almost seems like they appear more when the device becomes warm. And some PW's have much more blue and some have much more pink.

It's still far better than my previous PW's, but it bothers me that I ever see them at all. As far as the engineers... I think something in the process got screwed up and I really don't know if I believe they are working on a fix at this time. If they are, I don't think we will see if anytime soon. Maybe in the PW 2.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote