Lo and behold, it's been ten years since the launch of MobileRead. Details are a bit hazy on the exact date, but according to our super-secret spatiotemporal uncertainty model, October 23rd, 2002 seems to be a good estimate.
I started this website ten years ago with one goal in mind: I wanted to make new friends with whom I could share my crazy-obsessed interest in mobile reading. Ten years ago — that was when you could count on being considered a cave dwelling nerd when waving around a handheld organizer. It was the time when the e-book was the sole domain of salivating tech geeks and self-confessed bedroom pirates. As I look back on everything, I can say I'm very proud of what we've accomplished. I've been able to witness so many changes in how we perceive technology and how e-books have become a common, accepted way for consuming content.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you. This has been a magical decade, with friendships that have grown, with good and utterly silly jokes that have been told, with great generosity that members have shown one another. It's what has brought us all together here. All of you who come here day after day to find out more about e-books, to share your own experiences, your views, rants and rave - you are who truly make this community what it is. Thank you for that trust, the confidence and the continued support through the years. And remember to join us for the next decade as we strive to keep this community new and exciting for years to come!
Last but not least, my big thanks and hugs to the amazing MobileRead team. You have done an incredible job in making this community a safe, vibrant and supportive place. There's no doubt, you're the best team in the world, and I am humbled and blessed to have you by my side.
We are celebrating our tenth birthday by launching this little giveaway.
The following prizes are up for grabs:
- An e-book reader of your choice from the following selection: Kindle Paperwhite (valued at US $139), Sony Reader PRS-T2 (valued at US $130), NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight (valued at US $139)
- Five e-book vouchers (each valued at US $30) either from Amazon or Kobo
It's really easy to win...
How to win
Leave a comment below with a link to your favorite MobileRead forum section. Tell us why you like it. And finally, tell us how you think it could be made even better
. If you're new to MobileRead and don't have a favorite section yet, link to the forum in which you believe you'll be spending the most time and tell us what interests you about that particular forum.
The drawing will be random, so don't worry about writing a Pulitzer Prize quality entry. Just briefly share your thoughts with us.
Down to the details:
- This contest is open to anyone anywhere as long as at least one of the main prizes (Kindle PaperWhite, Sony Reader PRS-T2, or NOOK Simple Touch with Glowlight) is officially available for sale in your country.
- To enter, leave a comment below. We want to hear what your favorite MobileRead forum section is. Tell us why you like it and how you think it could be made even better — and feel free to be descriptive!
- This giveaway begins now, October 30th 2012, and ends on November 6th 2012, at 11:59 PM EST.
- Amongst the eligible entries one winner will be randomly drawn for the grand prize (Kindle PaperWhite, Sony Reader PRS-T2, or NOOK Simple Touch with Glowlight) and 5 winners will be randomly drawn for a US $30 e-book voucher each. The chosen e-reader device must be officially available for sale in the winner's country.
- If you are chosen, you will be notified via private message. Winners must respond within four days after being notified. If you do not respond within that period, another winner will be chosen.
- Full rules can be found here.
Thanks and good luck to everyone. And stay tuned for our upcoming Winter giveaway!
PS: From a former New Yorker to everyone on the East Coast and everyone else affected by this storm: My blessings and prayers to all of you. Stay safe!
(screenshots of "former" MobileRead courtesy archive.org's Wayback Machine)