View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2, iPad, KindleFire and NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousMe View Post
Hm, I stll have a problem with the picture sitting on one page and caption ending up on the next... Do you have this problem too? (And changing the type size does not solve it.)
Of course. Everyone has this "issue." eBooks don't have pages, and the reading devices don't yet honor keep-togethers or even commands within divs to display together. Yes, it's frustrating, but at this time, nothing can be done about it other than tweaking the CSS to try to get the captions as close as possible.

No matter how many times I explain this to a prospective client, I cannot count how many "edit" sheets we get complaining about how we "moved" the captions to "the next page." People apparently can't get their heads around the reflowable nature of ebooks. I had one client who became literally hysterical--I think I mentioned this in this forum before--because he could not grasp that a floating image, tied to a given paragraph, had to "slide" to the next "page" because there wasn't enough space left on the former "page" to display the image in its entirety, so the image and its adjoining paragraph reflowed to the ensuing display. I sent at least 5 explanations and finally had to do a video to show how ADE would resize, the text would reflow, etc., and still had to explain that if the text magically reflowed without the image (think water around a rock in a stream, which is what he thought should happen), all the images would end up stacked at the end of the book like a pair of too-long jeans crumpled at someone's ankles. I mean, if I explain this and the captions issue once a week, I explain it 3 times or more. (Right up there with, "no, we don't have a 'final Word file' to give you.")

What device/reader are you using to view your images and their captions? From your statement, it does not seem to be ADE?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote