View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #14477
CRussel
Wizard
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HDX 8.9, Fire HD8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
@CRussel, I also enjoy the Phryne (pronounced Fry knee) series by Greenwood and agree generally with your comments.

Earlier this year the Aus Broadcasting Commission aired maybe half a dozen of her early Phryne novels in 1 hour telemovie format. There have been some character changes (for whatever reasons) and the wonderful Mrs Butler and her even more wonderful meals are not part of it.

The reviews were somewhat mixed, but I thoroughly enjoyed viewing them!!

I don't know if you're aware but Greenwood also writes about a contemporary sleuth in the form of the Corinna Chapman series, an inner city Melbournian baker and her Private Investigator partner.

These books deal with the Melbourne of today, as opposed to Phyrne's 1920's.

Personally, I'm a 1920's lover so they're my favourites.
Those Australian TV versions are now being shown here in British Columbia, which is how I found out about Ms. Greenwood in the first place. They're really quite good, though as you point out, Mrs. Butler is not really a character in them, and there are some other character changes. None the less, I'm enjoying the TV series and look forward to reading more of the books themselves.

I haven't tried one of the Corinna Chapman books yet, though I undoubtedly will at some point. However, Phryne is too delicious to allow myself to be distracted by anything else right now.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote