View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #404
mumbletop
mumbletop began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9, Nexus 4
I just bought a Glo from WHSmiths. This is my first e-reader. I got it because I've run out of space for paper books, and didn't much enjoy longform reading on my Android tablet.

The Kobo is pleasantly small, light and easy to hold. I thought I wouldn't like the quilted back but it's fine. It does seem to attract fingerprints and I really will want a cover - does anyone know when the Sleepcover will be available in the UK?

Set up was easy enough by attaching the reader to my PC with the USB cable and downloading and running the Kobo desktop software. It downloaded new firmware and the whole process took maybe ten minutes. Using ADE I sideloaded some ePubs I'd bought from Google Play. These didn't show up at first - I reattached the reader to my PC and reran ADE and Kobo desktop, and it was fine.

Though I have a problem with the sideloaded ePubs: I can't seem to change the font or line spacing for some. Is this solvable without stripping DRM?

The light: it's white enough for me. Maybe not quite as white as the Kindle Paperwhite I played with in Waterstones, but it's fine. And it's really quite even -there's the slightest of brightness at the side and top edges and a slight shadow at the bottom but it's hardly anything.

Fonts changes in one Kobo ePub book don't necessarily seem to carry across to others. When you wake the reader from sleep, it switches the light back on but forgets to put the black bar at the bottom which it uses to hide the slight shadow at the bottom. I'd find it useful if the sliders e.g. for the light or font sizes showed a numerical level.

@shanghaichica: sorry to hear about your WiFi and battery problems, mine seems fine. I see you got the Paperwhite - curious to know how you think they compare?

Anyway, time to do some reading.
mumbletop is offline   Reply With Quote