Thread: Glo vs Touch
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #11
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Glo owners, do you notice that the light guide layer it there? What I mean is that when I had a Paperwhite when I'd view the screen at a bit of an angle sometimes it would almost have an effect that made the text appear to be 'under glass', where as my regular eInk devices didn't do that.

I don't need the light really, I was thinking of a light feature simply as something I would use very occasionally, so am most interested in something that looks the best under fairly well lit conditions. I've been eyeing the Kobo's because I like the way you can handle things with fonts to get the 'perfect fit' for yourself or at least that's how it seems to me.
Well, I don't know about the Paperwhite but I just spent some time trying from all angles looking at the Glo screen, with light on and off, to see if I can notice the light guide or if the text would appear "under glass" and I see absolutely nothing. In fact, comparing to my old Kobo Touch the screen is absolutely the same (except Glo has higher resolution).

But I'm telling you: even though I thought I would obviously only use the light in darkness, I'm surprising myself at actually keeping the light on in almost all light conditions. The light makes the screen white in a non-backlit way, so it isn't a strain on the eyes, but it greatly improves text contrast and makes reading much more easy and enjoyable than looking at the standard e-ink greyish screen.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote