View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
SQLite is just for calibre. Won't interfere with uploading books to ereader.

Custom book covers are *not* automatically added to metadata. You will need to use the "Update epub" plugin or do a epub->epub convert.

Calibre is *fully* compatible with *all current* ebook readers.

While you can manually move files onto your ebook reader, calibre handles the transfer quite nicely.

Many of us have many years of successful experience with calibre.
Thanks for the good news..!

What I would like to achieve is to have a master library on the PC and slave "read-only-environments" on one or several e-readers.

Basically, the idea is that:

1. Provided I update the sd cards whenever I add new books (or on a weekly basis.. e.g.), all libraries would remain in sync'
2. The slave libraries could be recreated at a pinch in the event an sd card goes bad or is mislaid..
3. Downloads to the PC would be faster in my particular setup
4. Updating the library on the sd card(s) would also be much faster using tools such as rsync than using Calibre's "send to device" feature.
5. I could easily create 'starter set' libraries for family or friends that they would update whichever way they please henceforeward..
6. Customization of (free) ebooks via sigil, the Gimp, inkscape.. etc. would be simpler.

Of course, the merits/downsides of this projected setup would be easier to evaluate if I alredy owned an e-reader of some description or other.. but I'd rather have some idea of how I will organize before I commit to any particular brand/model..

Thanks..!
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote