View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Chris Jones
Enthusiast
Chris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: none
Is the Calibre library directly portable to current e-readers?

I have populated a fairly large (~3GB) library on my laptop using Calibre's "add books" capability.

I was planning on copying this library to a micro SD card, popping the SD card into a (yet-to-be acquired..) e-reader, and start reading..

I looked at the structure of the Calibre library and saw that:

* There is an SQLite metadata.db database file at the top level of the Calibre library tree

* The custom book cover files that I downloaded manually/separately live at the top of each book's directory tree rather than inside the .epub files

This gives me a feeling that the Calibre library may not be fully compatible with the software on e-readers and that what I had in mind may not work as I hoped..!

Are my assumptions correct..?

Will I have to use the "Send to device" features of Calibre to upload the books to the e-reader via a USB connection..?

Has anyone had a comparable experience..?
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote