View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #42
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
IMHO the publishing industry is just repeating the errors of the music industry. You know music industry totally slept on internet for a long time, treating the whole internet as their enemy, until only recently they realised they can turn the internet to their partner in offering onlineshops with reasonable prices (e.g. apple store for a random example). Just too long they cashed ~25€ for a CD album, altough the cost originally consisting to a hugh percentile of production prices, the production prices dropped to a few cents, altough the CDs in the shops stil did cost the same. No wonder they created a vivid pirating community, when people thought just though what the f...?

I have no problem to buy an online book, but I *really*, *really*, *really* want to buy it with discont of not needed printing costs. That is only the author marge, and the publishers marketing/correction reading costs. This is not happening at all. You pay almost the same, altough you get actually "less". Its really just IMHO the errors of the music industry repeating 10 years later..

Personally I happily am buying paper books from amazon if a) I consider them important for a long time in my work (it never hurts to have some "evergreens" at home, because they are also almost always already handed out at my libraries) or b) they are not available in any library in my hometown but I still think I might profit for them and they are not extremly expensive (<40€) (I always think, there is nothing more usefull I could do with my money, then to spent it for education. But if some scientific book costs 80€ or more, I really wonder if I'd need it all) Or I have to confess the third praxis I do at some books I'd consider a nice to have, but not that important and my library has them in stock + often enough they are out of print of difficult to aquire. I borrow them out, scan them and store the pdf at my harddisk, to either print the pages on damand or use my IlIad to read them.

The scan is still 3-4 hours of work in front of a scanner, and it isn't OCRed (and I haven't found yet any OCR that really works well without proofreading it all)... So you know if there would be a reasonable priced ebook version available, one could easily convince me not to spend that hours in front a scanner.

Last edited by axel77; 08-04-2008 at 10:33 AM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote