View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #106
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Having for years been a source of books to my extended family (certain books I've ended up buying second copies for myself after the originals have been beat up by others) we are now in the situation where such lending is no longer possible, life goes on...

But having seen complaints saying "I'd never lend an ereader because 'they'd have access to my account' " I have a rather dumb question, don't these eReaders have parental control? After all the flack Apple's taken over in-app purchases etc. Shouldn't there be something like that in all the various eReaders? (I really don't know, I've never even tried to make a purchase from my kobo)

For that matter if one was to get literal about the licenses, shouldn't it be illegal for your spouse to pick up YOUR e-reader and read never mind having multiple ereaders on the same account?

I do not begrudge the authors their pittance, but I'd really like to see a cost break down between Hardcover / Paperback / eBooks. Have they left the ebook prices as high as they are to account for 'shrinkage' ?

And am I the only one thinking 'drug dealer' when I see a publisher offering the first book in a long series for free just to get you hooked...

But back to the original question, I too remember "Personal Lending" being bandied about, it would be nice; but for me and obviously a lot of consumers, not a deal breaker. (My sisters going to have to find her own copy of Notorious Nineteen...)
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote