Thread: $13 eReader?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #134
CommonReader
Evangelist
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PRS-300, Xperia S, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The iPad has an advertised 10-hour video-watching life, longer than any laptop on the market.
How big would you have considered the market prior to the iPad? Many people wondered what the iPad was actually good for when it was announced by Apple. Well, now we know.

I don't claim that this thing is going to redefine the market. However, I do think that people are looking at the issue too narrowly.
On my commuter train last night about 60% of the passengers where toying around with some smartphone - checking mails, listening to music, watching movies, whatever. There was one guy with a dedicated reader - me.
Recently on the train an elegant elderly lady (probably in her seventies) started a spontaneous discussion with a girl about the advantages and disadvantages of various Android smartphones.
Based on these observations the claims raised here that the requirement to push books from a smartphone to this reader via Bluetooth is a major impediment fail to convince me.
Technological change powered by smartphones is coming in like a tidal wave. I can now ride the national rail service with a ticket on my smartphone, I can buy subway tickets via NFC or do banking transactions on my phone.
We may therefore start to see phones as the hub of all sorts of periphery devices.
Why shouldn't the phone provide storage and connectivity and take care of payment while the "reader" provides the essential service - the e-ink display?
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote