View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
The majority of consumers are not comfortable running command line arguments or disassembling their devices. Even just doing the research on google is something many people are not inclined towards. That being said, I was one of the first people to post the details of doing this mod online and I recommend anyone who is comfortable with it to give the upgrade a shot themselves. I think nearly anyone is capable, but by that same measure I think nearly anyone can change their oil, upgrade their RAM and cut their hair but we still have mechanics, technicians and barbers and nobody gives them a hard time as long as their prices are fair.

Having posted this same poll here and on another forum I've seen quite a varied response. The less technically savvy average user of mobileread - no offense to the users of mobileread, there are plenty of you who are quite savvy and really I'm sure you're all brilliant at plenty of things I'm rubbish at - seem completely against this idea but users on other sites like 1337.com seem to indicate there may be a market for this sort of thing.
I agree there is a market for this. But, I think that a lot of the people who would want it done are technical enough to do it themselves. I've stated that I am not interested as I don't need the space. If that changed, I know I could do it myself. But, if you were in a shop down the street, I'd ask how much and then decide. But, I wouldn't post the device to another city to get it done.
Quote:
The most commonly cited reason for people wanted the upgrade surprised me a bit. It seems people are annoyed about the way the Kobo readers scan an SD card when inserted. For large SD cards this can take a long time and having more internal memory would allow for less need to swap cards.
Just to muddy the waters for you a bit. Or maybe clear them: How the SD card is handled has changed with the 2.1.4 firmware.

In older firmware, when an SD card is inserted, it is read and all the books were added to the database and hence displayed in the library. With the 1.9.x firmware, cover images were generated and stored in the main memory for all books. With 2.0.x, the cover images were generated as they were needed and then stored in the main memory. For all of these firmware, when the SD card was ejected, the database entries were removed and the cover images deleted.

With 2.1.4 and later, the first part is the same: insert an SD card and the books are scanned and added to the database. But, when the card is ejected, the entries are not removed. If the card is inserted again, it is checked for differences. If books have been added, they are added to the database. If books have been removed, they will be removed from the database. So, if you use one SD card and take it out, putting it back in isn't to bad. If you swap between cards, it will take a long time.

The other change is the cover images. For books on SD cards, the covers are generated as needed and not stored for later.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote