View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Let me clarify that. Suppose you lose or break both of your Kindles. Suppose as well that a new, non-Kindle reader comes out with features compelling enough that you buy it. What happens to your Kindle content?

Right now, for DRMed content, you are locked into the Kindle platform. That may be fine for you now, but will it always be?

I want to download content once, and read it on whatever I happen to have. So I want a format supported on a broad number of platforms, and I want DRM (if I must have it) which will let me change platforms at will.

I refuse to be locked into a platform by DRM.
______
Dennis
Now, I understand you better. When you said "as well as replace the device" I assumed that you meant the same device.

I agree that purchasing DRM ebooks does lock you into a specific type of reader ... however, that does assume that the purchaser is one of those sweet and honest types who would never even think of stripping off that bad ol' DRM in the face of losing all of that content.

Thankfully ... I am not that purchaser. If someday, in the dim and distant future, I am forced to give up my beloved Kindle and purchase something that will not read Kindle content ... you can pretty much bet the farm that I will be giving a one fingered salute to the copyright laws.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote