Thread: $13 eReader?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 02:32 AM   #123
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Maybe it would be a decent solution for kids, but the biggest hold up in my thinking is the fragility and cost of an e-ink display... Last time I looked China was looking for somewhere between $50-65 shipped in single quantities for replacements, and yes I understand economies of scale and that entire (subsidized) readers are near that price point ala Kindle, but how cheap and durable are these displays alone going to get and really how functional a device is it if it can hold only 5 books and apparently none of the other features that make a reader attractive like dictionaries, highlighting, large library in a small form factor, etc. ? I'll give you the low power argument and the low risk of loss/damage, etc. I can't see something like this really being more than a novelty item, and quite possibly having a negative effect on anyone unfamiliar with what a real ereader can do.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote