View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I'm not sure about this. The problem with the Australian devices was that the embedded factory installed firmware, that was not normally replaceable by new firmware, had some problem with installing the new versions.

My clear impression is that the firmware update management software doesn't get replaced easily. In fact, if 2.0.4 does what we think it does, they had to issue a two-stage special update to revise the firmware update management software.
From what Kobo developers have said, it was the update mechanism that is at fault. So, it was the 1.9.11 version of the code we are talking about. They have also mentioned space issues, so it might be that the 1.9.11 version didn't remove some files and there wasn't enough space to unpack the firmware properly. My guess is that the 2.0.4 does the cleanup or has the cleanup code in the firmware installation, so that the later firmware can be installed properly.

Of course, I might be wrong as this is put together from several comments from the developers plus a little looking at shell scripts in the firmware updates.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote