View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #125
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
How do you find books to read?

If it's not based on recs, what does that leave--Keyword searches alone? (The snarky answer is "cover art," but I'm presuming that's not what you use.) Bestselling status? (Crowdsourced recommendations.)
There are several authors whose works I buy the moment they are released; probably 12-15 books per year. And I browse genres I like at the various book sellers' sites, and gauge my interest based on the synopsis. But I don't read the reviews. I also browse at B&M stores, although I don't remember the last time I bought a pbook (scratch that; I do - it was last year in an airport when I picked up a paperback copy of Dennis Lehane's "Moonlight Mile" after losing my Nook Color while on a trip). I haven't bought more than 5 or 6 pbooks since I bought my first ereader. I guess in theory I am somewhat influenced by the books the B&Ms choose to stick up front, as I see those first when browsing. But my purchases are based on the synopsis or the author, and not any review.

I also heavily re-read. That is the most compelling feature of the ereader to me; I can carry all my favorite books by all my favorite authors with me at all times, and jump back into one on a whim. I realize I am probably missing endless numbers of absolute gems by doing this, but I don't really care; I read for enjoyment, and I enjoy my favorites. But this probably explains why there are some popular authors that I avoid like the plague, even though they are very prolific in the genres I enjoy; I have sampled their work and think they write like 8th graders. Who would want to re-read that terrible prose over and over?

I guess you could sum up my reading habits by saying that you could hand me an ereader containing the books of my favorite 4 or 5 authors, and tell me I could read nothing else for the next several years, and I would happily read them over and over.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote