View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #52
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
What's wrong with good old-fashioned USB plus HDMI for the A/V outputs? My trusty PlayBook has all that and as far as I know they aren't planning to change it anytime soon. IMHO connectors should be open, not proprietary.

Considering all the Apple iWhatever adapters currently hard-wired into cars, stereos, etc around the world, I consider Apple's latest move to be a pure money grab and a betrayal of their (rabidly) loyal customer base. Will they get away with it? Probably! I'm sure they've looked at the cost-benefit and concluded that they will probably retain 99% of their loyal fans, say, and went ahead with it.
Nothing at all, I've no problem with USB. I was just commenting on the presence of the chip. I do find the adaptive nature of the connector interesting though, and think the reversable aspect is a great idea. And who knows, it become the next USB - after all Apple initiated and designed much of IEEE 1394 (firewire).

As for the change from one connector to another? Someone's gonna get screwed. Suppose they went from the (Apple proprietary) 30pin connector to micro USB? All those hardwired connectors in cars and stereos are going to need an adapter anyway. I remember a large number of people swearing and cursing when PCs went from EISA cards to PCI cards.
5thWiggle is online now   Reply With Quote