View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #21615
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
As ProfCrash says, it's the second picking of the season. First flush is the early spring picking and tends towards mild, even delicate, flavours and a lighter liquor. A delightful afternoon tea when you have time to sit and contemplate. Second flush is the second growth spurt, and produces a more full bodied tea with the full characteristic aroma of a Darjeeling and a rich and complex liquor. Later in the season will come harsher and less well-rounded pickings, though some properties do well with an autumn picking.

Most of what you get in the typical tea-bag "Darjeeling" is broken-leafed late season leaves. Strong, dark, and not nearly as complex or interesting as it should be. I personally find second-flush Darjeelings to be a good compromise between price and quality, especially when they come from good estates. First flush Darjeelings tend to be a bit light for my tastes much of the time, though when I'm feeling contemplative on a Saturday afternoon, they're perfectly appropriate.

India Blacks, in general, tend to be quite different from China blacks, though I often think that there's a certain similarity between a good Keemun and a good 2nd flush Darjeeling. They both have a strong nose and a well rounded flavour, though the Keemun is much earthier and less astringent.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote