NBCNEWS.com has details:
They had some hands-on time and liked it.
- Tegra3 T30 with 2GB RAM, 32GB storage
- Dual 720P cameras so it should be pretty good for Skype
- Full MS Office 2013 included
- 31.5 w-Hr battery, recharges in 2 hours
- DLNA native server
- Available at 27 Microsoft stores and another 37 Holidaay Kiosks in assorted Malls in the US
- US and availability online: "Online shoppers in the U.S. as well as the UK, Canada, Germany, France, Australia, China and Hong Kong will be able to go to Surface.com to buy it as well."
One analyst is predicting 3 million units to be sold in 2012 with another 9 in 2013, for about a 14% tablet market share.
Basically, the pricing is (as promised) competitive with the iPad and the device offers good value at $499. The full MS Office is a *big* plus (worth $129 right there) as is the external monitor and keyboard support. (Not sure about mouse support.)
The biggest minus is the screen (if they haven't upgraded it from WXGA).
It should do fine but unless the screen has been quietly upgraded I'll wait for the Pro model and get a FireHD9 or NookHD+ in the interim.