View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #18
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: Kindle3-3G, Archos 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainMike View Post
As for Stephen King, I was on business trip late 2000 deep behind Boston MA; and when we shuttled small roads with a rental car, surrounded by local autumn, suddenly it flashed in my mind 'There be witches?' and I asked automatically my colleague if he had read Stephen King. I really don't know if New England is different but it felt something I had read/seen already.

As for writing about absolute professions, it sometimes feels odd to see true people who will take their experience with them and at the same time realize that I will never write about that with any depth, how ever I try to research.
Say, I like old aircraft and have a reasonable amount of WWII aerial warfare books and talked with some veterans about subject but I never will capture into text the true moment in 3-D airspace when 'hours and hours of boredom punctuated into seconds of sheer terror'(whoever that wrote).
I was in the military, and have read a vast amount about military history, yet I never fought in the US Civil War, but I can write about it.

What you do is be sure what you do say is true and don't pretend to have been there. You don't have to. No one that reads your work will have been there themselves.

And finally, in some ways all wars, all soldiers are the same.

Like a recent movie said "you are always trying to get home."

That's a universal truth.

Last edited by frahse; 10-18-2012 at 04:04 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote