View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbrich View Post
I loved my Vox from the day I bought it almost a year ago. Loved it even more when I found out how to fix the SOD issue. But I picked up a BlackBerry PlayBook 64gb for $199 and the poor Vox is now collecting dust. If you can find a PlayBook, you'll never regret it. Just go to CrackBerry.com and see the love.
The problem is the horrible, horrible app selection in the official App World market, both paid and free. So many developers and big sites/services haven't bothered to make apps for it (Facebook, Twitter, Netflix), so that you have to rely on random developers to not steal your credentials. :P

A goodly number of what it *does* have turn out to either be 3rd-party launchers that just load up the Web version of stuff (like Facebook and Twitter) or else distinctly inferior to the versions on other platforms (I have yet to hear anything good about the Kobo app for BB on the PlayBook). Even with the ability to run *some* (by no means all - or even a lot!) Android apps, which you have to get compiled into the .bar file format (a major pain, by most accounts).

The hardware is excellent (it better be, given it was originally like $350+), but without an even vaguely decent ecosystem, I can't recommend one at any price. Well, maybe free...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote