Originally Posted by benqtitle
Just out of curiosity, what's the benefits of upgrading Kobo Touch from 1.9.17 to 2.1.4 (besides book shelf) and what's the downside? And what does aforementioned "You only won't be able to use the finetuning with "sideloaded" fonts." (two posts above) mean? Thanks.
+ fonts fine tuning for preloaded fonts (weight and sharpness), not available for sideloaded fonts
+ shelves (2.1.4 adds the possibility to add a book from the books menu)
+ improved dictionary usability (translation/definition by tapping on a word for about 2 seconds)
+ 2.1.4 lets you decide which of the dictionaries you want to have installed
+ you can mark more than one word now and look it up (though I don't know if there are any translations/definitions in English - could be useful for Japanese, though)
+ view details lets you read the books description from the meta data (if there is one, of course) and also lets you rate your books (I think that's new, too, the rating...)
+ support for Japanese (interface, keyboard, dictionary, 2 new fonts for Japanese)
~ wishlist (which is rather useless to me since I can only add books recommended to me)
~ find books similar to those you are reading
~ new homescreen design with Read and Discover tabs (don't know how to feel about it, since the favorites are gone from the homepage as well, but now there's a large tap displaying your wishlist on the bottom)
- hearts to mark favorites are gone (2.1.4, you can still add books to favorites using the shelves menu, but I still think that was a bad decision to remove them)
- you can't select cover display seperately for sleep and power off anymore (2.1.4)
- chapter progress bar is gone (2.1.4)
- the ability to open the highlight menu introduced in 2.0.0 is gone in 2.1.4
- several fonts are completely gone (Delima, Felbridge, Times New Roman). You can add them manually, but...
- sideloaded fonts don't look very good anymore (too thin, no finetuning possible)
That and possibly some minor changes that I can't recall at the moment. Plus a few bugs, as usual...
(See the other 2.1.4 thread...)
I hope they will reverse some of the "minus changes" in a future version and bring back the hearts and chapter progress bar at least...