View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 03:17 AM   #174
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clié; PRS-505; EZR Pocket Pro, PRS-600, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I do, however, share my Kindle account with my mother and cousin--we all buy books and read them on our various devices that are all tied to my account. According to what you are saying, though, this is considered piracy, and is against Amazon's terms of service. (Even though Amazon appears to condone it when you look at the guidance on the "Manage Your Kindle" page.) I wonder if our resident Ninja Lawyer will chime in with his thoughts?
This is not a legal issue; it's a TOS issue. Amazon has conflicting information--in one area, they claim ebooks are for "personal use only" of the account holder; in other areas, they instruct people how to share their ebooks with multiple people using the same account.

At one point, Amazon claimed it was a EULA violation for libraries to loan out Kindles; at some later point, they backed off from that (possibly because there is no difference in the EULA terms between "loan out this Kindle to random library patrons" and "hand this Kindle to my husband"). They've never clarified what they think is acceptable.

I believe they don't want to--they want the terms to be contradictory, so they can cut people off with no warning if they feel like it, but can encourage people to share a little bit because they know if they insisted on and tried to enforce "you can NEVER share this book with anyone, at all, not even in your own household"--sales would plummet. So instead, they tacitly allow limited sharing (multiple people on an account), while the EULA clearly says that's not permitted.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote