View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #19
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
If the EU just decided that, it means the US is going to do a release in about three weeks that all orphaned works are to be granted perpetual copyright and become un-distributable.

Cause the US likes to be "better" than the EU, and usually goes about it in the exact wrong way.
You may be right, who knows. I would like it if the US permitted the publication of orphaned books. The real question is what is an orphaned work. I would say something like the work hasn't been in print for a given time period and there has been a good faith effort to find the copyright holder. I'm sure that a process could be put in place that will work 95% of the time. Perhaps a national copyright database or some such thing. I would also say that a fee per sale should be put in escrow for a set amount of time just in case the actual copyright holder actually does appear at a later time.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote