View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #167
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Copyright deals with the right to reproduce a work, rather than the right to lend or resell a work. The issue is that we are now dealing with technologies that creates a copy of a work in the process of transferring it. Unfortunately, this has allowed rights holders to interpret copyright in ways that would have been considered as inexcusable in the past.

The problem isn't so much copyright as how rights holders are abusing copyright to sway the old balance into their (almost exclusive) favour.
Spot on. :thumbup:

Thank you. I wish this and a couple of elf's posts could be stickied for easy linkage.

TBH, it ruffles my feathers to be told I should be ashamed for sending, e.g., my mother a copy of an ebook (but it's cool for a pbook) because of such technicalities.

We are ethical people, and several times have bought "our own" copies when the books have been good enough to be keepers, same for library or kindle lending books we really liked.

Add to that, the related argument that it's wrong to do A because it opens the door for you to do B is also annoying. Heck, if it were, then borrowing Amazon lendable books would be unethical, since you could strip and keep them.

For that matter, if we're going to be technical, we shouldn't even buy Amazon books, because we could strip them, which is against the licence, and we could pass them around to thousands, intentionally or unintentionally.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote