Thread: $13 eReader?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #72
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
What's the file transfer speed of Bluetooth?
If I read the wikipedia article correctly, the best you can hope for is 2.1Mbit/s (that'd be Bluetooth v2.0), or 721 kbit/s (Bluetooth v1.2). The newer Bluetooth standards actually don't use bluetooth for file transfer, but only negotiate faster protocols via Bluetooth. So actually it's using 802.11 or wifi. Which won't be in this reader so...

Transfering 4GB would take 12+ hours with Bluetooth v1.2 and 4+ hours with Bluetooth v2.0 if I haven't miscalculated it somewhere (which is entirely possible, I'm not good at math).

But according to some reports you can start reading while it's still transferring stuff, so it probably won't matter much in practice unless you want to start in the middle of a book.

Also, I guess that most books will be considerably smaller. Especially if you read at a normal font size, which will use considerably fewer pages and therefore images and storage space, than a large font...

Also, even if the reader stores the images uncompressed, the transfer itself may be compressed somehow. So it may transfer files much faster, and the above estimate is just the worst case scenario...

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-12-2012 at 09:32 AM.
frostschutz is online now   Reply With Quote