View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #24
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Early morning use

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
What haydnfan said.

Plus, simaru, you don't read in the dark at all, so naturally, if you sit in a well lit room, or read during the day by the window, you are able to use a higher light setting. Not everybody has the luxury of reading time during the day, you surely can see that, no?

Many users here read in the dark in bed (crazy idea... I know....) often with someone sleeping next to them.

The PW was not made for daytime only use. Amazon built lower light settings into it for use in the dark.
I read my Bible early each morning on the PW with a light level at 22 of the possible 24. It is in a very dim light environment then but not pitch dark. It seems clear and bright white to me at that time.

I did my last full charge on Oct 6 and my meter shows about 50%. Thus, it looks like I will get about 11 days to the 15% signal. I leave WiFi on all the time and use Page Refresh on.

My Kindle Fire 1st Gen used to get 5 or 6 days of battery use to the 15% signal. I also charged that on Oct 6. Its at 62% now so I will probably get 11 days on that until the 15% signal since I don't use it as much for reading since my PW was received.

My Kindle Kbd 3rd Gen WiFi gets about 35 days to the 15% signal.

I find reducing the PW light level to level 15 in that low, early morning environment is also suitable. I just tried it after reading your post. That also seems a suitable level for that environment.

I still think PW light levels have zero, SIGNIFICANT effect on battery charge life. To determine its real effect, one would have to run a full battery charge level down to the 15% level with a constant PW light level for each cycle and see how many days the battery lasted. Frankly, I really don't care if it did change the cycle length by a day or so. Its irrelevant to my needs.

Battery life collapse has never been the reason why I've discarded gadgets which use Lithium batteries. Obsolescence is the main reason I drop old gadgets.

Amazon just posted how their model Paperwhite looks at different PW light levels and different environments here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=1000841011

If one looks at those pictures, one will notice that in a dark room at PW level 5, the screen has a BLUE tint. That is what I have been stating over and over in other threads. At low PW light levels all the screen defects become highlighted. The Amazon displays with high light levels (3 pictues there) of 20 and above, show a perfect bright, white screen. Amazingly, my unit does not show that blue tint screen at low PW light levels.

If that screen defect crept into the Amazon official photos, then it implies the screen defects are very widespread.

After seeing the Amazon official photos there, I'm convinced that level 22 for the PW light, which is the delivered default level CAN be used in all environments. However, that Amazon display resulted in my trying all PW light levels and I may vary it now in different environments to see which appears best for me. I may keep changing the light level each time I open the cover and use a variety of light levels.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-12-2012 at 09:32 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote