View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Onyx M92 - Long list of bugs

I've recently purchased what is known as M92 in the States and I must say I'm dissapointed by certain aspects:
  1. Using the "Hide Margin" Zoom-Mode, the PDF Reader automatically drops into "Scroll Pages" Layout and no longer allows flipping one page at a time. Conversely, if one selects "Single Page" Layout afterwards, the keys for swapping pages stop working alltogether.
    What should happen instead is that not only "Single Page" Layout is retained (or can subsequently be activated), but also that the "<" and ">" keys go to the same relative position on page before, respectively after.
  2. The pen is a complete misdesign. On the one hand, the reader lacks any means to store the pen, despite how tiny the pen its. On the other, the pen is designed as if it were to be stored in the reader, meaning uncomfortably tiny and without any clip, whatsoever. A bigger pen would also have allowed for more features, better grip, etc. Instead, the pen combines the disadvantages of both solutions.
  3. Auto-Standby and Auto-Poweroff can not be set. The "Settings" for "Power Management" are completely unusable and do not respond to user-input, whatsoever.
  4. The browser attempts to animate not only javascript but also animated GIFs and thereby fails to be usable for many webpages. Any reasonable software would allow the user to disable Javscript and disable animated GIFs. Although the M92's primary purpose is not browsing, the M92's browser is therefore mostly unusable.
  5. The screen shows the Brand's label when going off, instead of just sticking with the current content. Not only is that a waste of energy, it is also almost certainly the opposite of what you want.
  6. There is no way to purge a PDF of the Sketches and Annotations that one has made.
  7. "Zoom by Two points" does not work at all. Instead, the stylus keeps making Strokes when one attempts to define the two points.
  8. etc. etc

Conclusion: The M92 is a reasonably good assembly of hardware (good and large screen, reasonably well working Digitizer, although misdesigned, usable buttons) with unusable software.

Is there anything one can do against this software? As a Linux programmer I'd gladly like to write my own bits and pieces but I doubt that's possible given the propriatary assembly with possibly propriatary drivers.

Thank

Last edited by ManDay; 10-12-2012 at 03:42 AM.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote