View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
Hamlet53
Sister Carrie
Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I enjoyed David Copperfield.

Spoiler:
I still to this day am a bit miffed that he didn't marry Agnes right off the bat. His first wife who he stuck with and was the epitome of high-maintenance until the day she died, and yet he loved her.... But I was so glad he ended up with Agnes in the end.
Spoiler:

You are so right. I always figured that David's infatuation with Dora was something he had to get out of his system as he matured. He was certainly better of with Agnes in every way. I especially like these final [very autobiographical] paragraphs in the book.

Quote:
And now, as I close my task, subduing my desire to linger yet, these faces fade away. But one face, shining on me like a Heavenly light by which I see all other objects, is above them and beyond them all. And that remains.

I turn my head, and see it, in its beautiful serenity, beside me. My lamp burns low, and I have written far into the night; but the dear presence, without which I were nothing, bears me company.

O Agnes, O my soul, so may thy face be by me when I close my life indeed; so may I, when realities are melting from me, like the shadows which I now dismiss, still find thee near me, pointing upward!
Hamlet53 is offline   Reply With Quote