View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,337
Karma: 6272177
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Aura HD, Glo, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
What did fix it, on both cards, was reformatting the cards (fat32). After reformatting the cards I did a sync without the cards, inserted the card, and then transferred my books (I used calibre and transferred my 32 books in two batches).

I am confident enough to recommend trying this. How to prevent it from happening, is another issue. From what I can tell, using a new sd card, or a freshly formatted sd card, should work, Pulling a card from my older reader and inserting it into the Glo did not, but that may have been an anomaly.
I've now tried 8 different micro-SD cards with my Kobo Touch. For three of them, I can say they worked with the 2.1.1 firmware prior to the upgrade. The others came out of my video camera, a Nokia phone, two recently purchased for a project and not yet used and my junk box (including one out of Kobo Wireless when I was playing with increasing it's internal memory size. The sizes varied from 1GB to 16 GB. The SDHC cards varied from class 4 to class 10.

For the testing I used two KTs and copied 100 books to the SD card. What I can now say is that formatting the card (using the SD Card Association formatter and Windows 7 formatter) in a microSD=>SD adapter, a Lexar USB microSD reader and in the KTs had no effect on the restart issue. Doing a factory reset and going through the re-upload of the firmware has no effect on the restart issue either when inserting an SD card with the books already loaded or copying the books after the reset. Copying the files on the PC/SD reader and then inserting the card has the same results as copying the files to the SD card when it was inserted in the KT. Copying from the command line, GUI or using Calibre had no effect. Copying the books in small batches or one large batch had no effect.

Since my sister and family are heading back home, I left her KT on 2.1.4 and she will not use her SD card until a fix is out. I reverted mine back to 2.1.1 and will live with it's various failings until a fix is out since I need more than the 1.2Gb available on the internal storage.

The sad part is that this Thanksgiving weekend playing with multiple KTs was actually fun for me. I watched some sports (Go, Lions!) but avoided most of the political discussion which my family tends to love -- political arguments should be reserved for cold winter days when they keep the blood warm.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 10-09-2012 at 01:47 AM. Reason: fat fingered typos ... again.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote