View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #1758
Raederle
Raederle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g keyboard
Quote: "I was planning to use Tags to create Collections as I like to use book genres for my collection headings. I have about 500 books in my Calibre library, and yesterday I used bulk metadata download on them to get tags. It resulted in 300+ tags. It looks like I have a substantial effort ahead of me to edit this list down to a manageable size before I can use it for creating collections. Is there a more efficient way to use the Plugin? "

I actually created two custom fields, one for genre, and one for "Read" where the answer was New, Old, Read, Active, First. The Genre I import into collections with a prefix of + so that the +SFFantasy, +Mystery etc show up in collections ahead of any based on series. The Read is for New or Old books, those read in recent years with a read date, and the books I want to read soon (First) or am reading now (Active). Those are imported with a _ prefex to put the collections at the top of the list.

Thanks to the custom columns, the books are in the +genre collection, the _read status collection, possibly a series collectino (author, series name) or a tag based collection (NeedsFormat, News, Nieces, etc).

Finally I set Active to be never changed, and that is the one collection I update calibre from the kindle instead of vice versa. As long as you run the update in preview mode first you get a list of all differences between calibre and kindle, and can update calibre to match where tags were added or something moved on the Kindle side.

Regards, Raederle
Raederle is offline   Reply With Quote