View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #34
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I think the main difference is the way I read. When I read a book I take off my glasses and hold the device quite close to my face. When use a tablet for browsing, reading the newspaper, or watch a video I hold it much farther away. With my laptop the distance is even greater. And the closer I get to my eyes, the less comfortable I feel with LCD screens.
This is why dpi is so important. Your laptop screen most likely has a resolution around 100dpi (a 1080p 15" screen is only 140-ish dpi). That's way too low resolution to read comfortably on, especially if you're holding it right up to your face. An iPhone 4/4S/5, iPad 3, Galaxy III S, Nexus 7, etc (basically any modern high-end phone or tablet) will have dpis well above twice that of your PC, possibly even three times or more.

Start with a high quality device, add a high quality reader (I like Aldiko on Android), switch to "night mode" (white text on black background), and adjust brightness and font size as needed and you may find LCDs a lot more comfortable to read on.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote