View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #57
Tarana
Guru
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, Kindle HDX, Nook Glolight, Nook HD+
I still hold out for cookbooks, craft books and magazines, but otherwise, I am totally into the ebook realm. Storage and portability. The fact that I also have eye damage necessitates a choice I would have made anyway.

The only disadvantage I've had so far is books that include maps, so that you can see where the action takes place. The maps on the Kindle are just too small to read. Happily, Calibre makes it possible for me to print out those maps, so that I can have them handy while reading.

Oh, and another advantage. When my sister had a fire one year, she lost thousands of books to water and smoke damage. Offsite storage of your entire Calibre library is as easy as a 64Gig SD card or flash drive (ok...maybe several if you have audiobooks). Just a reminder - do have offsite storage in case of calamity or break-in.

My sister lives 45 miles from the nearest book store. Not too convenient for her, but moreover, she has to go 100 miles to find a store that has more than 5 science fiction books. Online is just so much easier for her to discover books in sci fi and fantasy. We make an annual pilgrimage to Uncle Hugos (Mpls. bookstore that specializes in sci fi and fantasy), so she can still browse and buy.

Last edited by Tarana; 10-08-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote