Thread: PRS-650 Good old Sony reader!
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad mini, HP Touchpad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post
I have a Sony 950 and I love it, but it is old tech..
I am looking for a new reader, but Sony has nothing on offer that can compete with current ereaders. It is very frustrating.

Even Sony's current models can hardly compete with their ancestors like the 650 and the 950. I love the internal silo for the stylus, or the aluminum casing, the audio capability, and the hardware buttons, and I love the 7" screen of the 950.
Sony's current single model has lost all that (except the hw buttons).

In fact if Sony would upgrade the 950 with their latest software, a better battery, a faster processor, glowlight, a higher resolution and more storage I would buy it without thinking twice. I would be prepared to pay at least double of what other brands ask.... even if they removed the 3g.
But for their cheap plastic ereader offerings without audio, without internal silo for the stylus, without glo light, without higher res. etc I am not prepared to pay more than for the competitor models. In fact I think, all considering, Sony's reader should be one of the most affordable readers instead of being one of the most expensive.

Their reader software is very good though and their on board dictionaries are without equal. At the moment the lack of dictionaries in other models is the only thing keeping me from switching brands.

@ Adbosch
That Onyx looks very good. I will keep an eye on that model.
What is the reputation of Onyx? Are their readers any good?
The dictionaries and PDF support (with reflow) are keeping me from purchasing another brand as well. My PRS-350 still works perfectly after two years, but the battery does drain a little bit faster, which is understandable. In fact, my PRS-505, which my husband is now using, is still in great condition and has not given us any problems; my husband loves it and has no desire to upgrade. I have a T1, and while I do enjoy it and appreciate the ability to change fonts and the added wi-fi, I do think that the quality of their ebook readers is not what it once was. I also much prefer the pre-android firmware on the Sony Readers; my 350 feels faster than my T1. I, too, would buy an updated 950 in a heartbeat. I may wait to see what Sony offers next year before purchasing another ebook reader, although the Kindle Paperwhite is tempting me, as I have long thought that t would be nice to have a Kindle as a backup ebook reader, so that I could get the best of both worlds. I would also appreciate the higher resolution screen.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote