View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #412
Barty
Wizard
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PW2, iPad 3
Alas, I have a lousy one. Aside from the four half-US-quarter-sized dark spots at the bottom which everyone has, I have big cloudy splotches. The splotch is blue/cyan colored at the top and tan/plum colored at the bottom.

How prominent they are depends on how bright the light is relative to ambient light. Out in the balcony it's barely noticeable and looks good. Of course my k3 looks great in sunlight too. In a normal bright room, I start to see the splotches. Moving away from the window, where I can still read fine on the k3 but it's maybe a bit dark, I now see splotches clearly on the pw. Closing the windows a bit so the pw can earn its money, the splotches are very distracting now. Going into the closet, ugh. I wouldn't read in the dark anyway because the screen flashes with the light really disturbs me. When I go to the movie and close my eyes during the trailers because they use a lot of quick fade out / fade in, like a flash camera albeit slowed down. I hate that.

Anyway, unlike many people here, I don't expect to read in the dark. I just want something that looks great in optimal light and lets me read comfortably in sub-optimal lighting. This isn't it.

With Light off (or all the way down, anyway), the text on my k3 using default caecillia is darker (it is not even close) and the background on my k3 is lighter. If the higher res on the pw does anything , I can't tell. I haven't been able to put my custom font on, but I think the k3 will win there, too.

On the good side, the touch screen is responsive, and has a nice textured feel to it.i don't like the tap zones though. I'd prefer a neutral zone in the middle that brings up the menu and not have 3/4 of the screen for next page.

Some of my side loaded books have cover and others don't. Anyone knows what it requires? Also, I'd like to turn off the tag displayed at the bottom of the cover.

Conclusion: very disappointed with screen; it is going back. I'm struggling to decide if I should bother with a replacement because 1/ even without splotches, i think the k3 in good lighting will still be more readable because of the darker bolder font (the pw may be more aesthetically pleasing with the white lit background, but the text is faded, so I don't really gain legibility). Maybe this will be addressed with firmware, but I doubt it because most people think the text on the pw is better so why would they change. 2/ ergonomically the k3 is easier for me to use due to my unique handicap. 3/ page buttons, TTS

Wifi SO, 5.2.0 fw, B024 1501 ......

Last edited by Barty; 10-06-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote