Thread: MobileRead October 2012 Run-Off Vote
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #43
Hamlet53
Babi Yar
Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I think Dracula is a wonderful book. It's creates a creepy atmosphere that has rarely been equaled. Fast moving it isn't, and there are no explosions or car chases, but the mood it evokes is chilling and spine-tingling.
Somehow I had managed to never read Dracula, something I am correcting at the moment. I agree with what you say and actually like the way the dread is actually increasing among characters that initially have no inkling. I had of course seen many of the various films based [sometimes quite loosely] on the book. Only the 1922 silent film Nosferatu really sticks close to the book and creates it's atmosphere on film. For what it is worth I usually am not interested in most novels in the horror genre, mainly because I have difficulty being scared by things that I know can't happen or do not exist, the supernatural. But as I say I am enjoying Bram Stoker's book for how it creates the time it was set in.

This is off topic, but since Bram Stoker's Dracula came up . . . Interesting article in the latest issue of Smithsonian Magazine on the The Great New England Vampire Panic. Lest it be thought that this was a companion to the Salem Witch Trials, this vampire panic extended into the late 19th Century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Have you ever been impressed by anything written prior to the advent of color TV?

Last edited by Hamlet53; 10-06-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Hamlet53 is offline   Reply With Quote