View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
I live in Ottawa, Ont and I picked up two Glows last night at Chapters.

I am very impressed so far. Set up was very easy. It was over 50% charged out of the box. Unlike the Kobo Touch this unit could be setup without a PC hook up. You have the option to use PC hook up or over Wifi. I chose wifi and within 5 mins it was up and running and downloading my library.

The glow fucntion is neat and works as advertized. Very impressed with the readability under poor lighting. The new firmware has added some new features such as choice of size for the screen saver. The main menu page has been revamped and they have added Chess to the "Extra app" selections.

IMO the unit has better response time as well as touch sensitivity. I tried out the Web Browser and I was impressed with it's functionallity.

My only complaint is that I bought my touch one month ago - not knowing that the Glo was around the cornner. The Glo is much more responsive in handling my e-book collection which I have on a micro sdhc card. It was more responsive in processing my sdhc card for the first time (app 900 e-books) and returning to the Home menu from an open e-book does not take as long as it did in my Kobo Touch. The Glo has a 1 gig mhz processor as appose to the 800 mhz processor in the Touch.

These are just my first impressions as I have only owned the unit just a little over 24 hrs.

Note: the new firmware is also out for the regular Kobo Touch but does not include the Chess app.

I highly recommend this device over the Touch. I did most of my reading under poor lighting (which was ok in the living-room with a lamp behind me), but in bed I usually used a miner's type LED Head light to read in the dark. It produced a good light but it was uncomfortable to wear and it would shift every now and then. The Glo unit is excellent for this type of environment.

I would assume that the Barnes & Noble Glo as well as Amazon's unit produced simillar results with re: to the display experience.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote